The power of food as medicine is evidenced by the thousands of client stories shared about increased energy, improved weight, less stress over preparing meals, medication tolerance, and eating the right foods throughout the day. A pilot study, Food as Medicine: Reducing Health Care Costs with Comprehensive Medical Nutrition Therapy recently confirmed the value of MANNA services.
MANNA prepares and delivers delicious nourishing meals and provides nutrition counseling to clients in the Greater Philadelphia area. MANNA has a professional staff of approximately 35 employees, over 1,500 dedicated volunteers, and the generous support of contracts, grants and gifts from state and local government, foundations and corporations and hundreds of individuals.
- 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, free of charge
- Serving 9 counties in the Greater Philadelphia region (Philadelphia, Delaware, Chester, Montgomery, Bucks, Camden, Burlington, Gloucester, and Salem)
- Meals are provided for dependent children under 18 years of age
- 11 meal modifications available to accommodate special needs:Registered Dietitians and Diet Technicians provide all client intake services, nutrition counseling and recommendations for nutrition meal plans
- carbohydrate controlled (diabetes)
- high protein/high calorie
- low potassium
- soft diet
- low fiber/low residue
- no pork
- no seafood
- no beef
- small portion size