January 2, 2019
January Energy Tip from NRG
RESOLVE TO BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT IN 2019
When making new year’s resolutions, people probably don’t think about using less energy in their home. But using less energy can benefit not just you, but your neighbors, your town, the entire grid.
- Use LED lights when possible. According to the Energy Department, residential LEDs — especially ENERGY STAR rated products — use at least 75% less energy, and last 25 times longer, than incandescent lighting. The investment you make now will more than pay off over the long term.
- Check your air vents regularly. The air in your home should be distributed effectively. If something is obstructing the vents, it can make the system work harder, thus using more energy.
- Weather strip around your doors and windows. Stop heat from escaping during by sealing any cracks and holes that might exist. You’d be amazed at the amount of heat that’s lost via small cracks and holes.
- When making major purchases of appliances in the new year, be sure to get energy star rated appliances. They can bring you big savings over the lifetime of the appliance.
- Use an electronic power strip for all your electronics like TVs, desktops, cable box, etc. That way, you turn off all appliances by turning off just one device.
- Lower your thermostat. Better yet, consider getting a Smart Thermostat.
If possible set your thermostat to no warmer than 68°F! The U.S. Department of Energy says you could save about 1% on heating usage for every degree you lower your thermostat over an eight-hour period. Even 70 instead of 72 can make a difference.
- In winter, keep your blinds open during the day to let the sun heat your home naturally. It’s the opposite during the summer. Close your curtains during the day to prevent the sun from making your home even warmer, making your A/C work even harder.
BONUS TIP: One thing to also consider. Pennsylvania and New Jersey are electricity choice states, which means consumers don’t have to settle for the one price fits all the utilities offer. People have a lot of choices. Many companies, like NRG, offer a variety of electricity plans that suit a family’s lifestyle and electricity usage, including fixed price plans that allow customers to lock-in their supply price for a set period, which can protect them from potential unpredictable energy price hikes due to heat waves, cold snaps, and other factors. Some plans offer you renewable energy, which can basically offer many of the benefits of solar or wind, without having solar panels on your roof.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/nourish1/mannapa.org/2018/wp-content/themes/manna/single.php on line 53